Roscommon County Council invites applications for a writer in residence for the period October 2012 to May 2013. The writer in residence is a partnership between the Library Services and the Arts Office of the County Council. The residency seeks to support writers in all genres. The residency is envisaged as a part-time position which will allow time both for the writer’s own work in addition to engagement and interaction with both the general public and more specifically with those with an interest in writing themselves.
Roscommon County Council believes that being involved with the arts can have a lasting and transforming effect on many aspects of people's lives, that the arts act as a tool by which we engage with the world, view ourselves, examine our value systems, provoke thought, and that it is through the arts that we express ourselves as individuals, groups and as a society whose sense of identity and purpose is expressed through art. While the arts play a central function in the cultural well being of the county, they also have vast implications socially and economically, the three strands of which are inherently intertwined.
The key elements of this Roscommon County Council Arts Plan 2009 – 2012 ‘Sustaining the Arts’ are -
• To build on the achievements of the previous plan, putting those programmes and projects that have proved successful on a secure and permanent footing.
• To maintain existing, and develop new strategic partnerships with other agencies and organisations to achieve mutually shared goals.
• To endeavour to ensure that to work as an artist in County Roscommon is a viable option for emerging and established professional artists.
The Aims of the Writer in Residence Programme are:
• To support the creative artists to develop her/his own work
• Create opportunities for communities to engage with writers through the Libraries and other community and arts networks
• To expand ,enhance and promote participation in literature
• To increase the number of people in the county engaged in creative writing
• To assist with the various literary programmes, events and activities as part of the cultural programme.
• To offer support, advise and assistance with literary related projects for the County Action Plan for Gathering 2013
Writers are invited to take inspiration from varied sources, to include the library environment, local communities and arts groups in the county. The work may involve working with various demographics in the county, including young people, older people and those new to writing. The details of the Residence Programme will be agreed in consultation with the appointed writer. The programme will be supervised by the County Librarian and SEO: Libraries Arts, Culture & Heritage.
Writers will submit a proposal together with details of previous work to date as follows:
• A typed curriculum vitae
• Examples of previous work
• Publications, programmes or published articles, such as reviews.
• Typed proposal outlining artistic ideas and approaches (no more than two typed pages); this should include an outline of the benefits of the residency to her/his stage of development as a writer and ideas in relation to public engagement during the residency and how s/he might engage with the various community and art groups
Closing date for submission of material: close of business on 28th September 2012
Criteria for selection
1. Artistic merit and distinctiveness of proposal
2. Quality of previous work
3. Suitability of the proposal to the context
4. Facilitation ability and experience.
5. Overall suitability.
Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of their submissions and short-listed applicants will be called for interview.
Insurance and Tax
Please note that the appointed writer will be required to have Public Liability Insurance. The successful writer will be required to provide Roscommon County Council with a tax clearance certificate prior to signing of contracts.
In accordance with the national Child Protection Guidelines Children First, the selected candidate will be required to follow child protection procedures as specified by Roscommon County Council.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo Garda Vetting.
Applications should be submitted to:
SEO: Libraries Arts, Culture & Heritage,
The Writer in Residence Programme is subject to funding.